The Ekinoid Project: Stats
1 inch = 25.4 mm
1 foot = 304.8 mm
- Internal: approximately 32 feet (384 inches; 975.36 centimetres; 9.75 metres)
- External: approximately 34 feet (408 inches; 1036.32 centimetres; 10.36 metres)
An Ekinoid house, at these dimensions, would provide ample living space for a family of four. For larger families or groups of people, or as extended work space etc., Ekinoid homes are designed to fit together in a modular way, at up to four simultaneous locations (from one house), if required. So, at maximum, one home could act as a hub to four other identical Ekinoid buildings, radiating in a circle around the central hub building. Or you could join two Ekinoids together, or three or 20 or even 1,000 if you wished.
- Height (from ground surface)
- 42 feet (12,801.6mm; 12.8m); this does not take into account the added height of a VAWT wind turbine attached on the roof (approximately 8 feet more).
- Volume = 4/3 pi.r cubed
- 32 feet diameter (9.846 metres): V = 17,164 cu.ft; 636 cu.m
- Surface area of sphere: A = 4 pi.r squared = 3,218 sq.ft; 358 sq.m
- Circumference of main circle = pi.d = 100.6 feet (100' 7" - 30.9487 metres )
- Surface area of main circle: pi.r squared: 804 sq.ft; 89 sq.m.
- Lower (and upper) floors (the two main floors): approx. 24 feet diameter = 453 sq.ft; 50.33 sq.m;
- Total living surface area therefore = 804 + 453 = 1257 sq. ft + storage space; 89 + 50 = 139 sq.m + storage.
- Storage areas theoretically are each 453 sq. ft / 50 sq. m; therefore 906 sq. ft / 100 sq.m. of storage space
- Total: 139 + 100 = 239 sq.m.
Stairwell Roof Dimensions
Outside Diameter of stairwell: 14 feet
Surface area of roof: pi.r squared: 154 sq. ft; 17 sq.m
Stairwell Floor Dimensions
Surface area of ground floor: pi.r squared: 154 sq. ft
Surface area of first and second floors: pi.r squared minus area of stairwell: 154 - 28 sq. ft = 126 x 2 = 252 sq. ft
Total surface area of floors = 154 + 252 = 406 sq. ft; 45 sq.m
Stairwell-To-Sphere Access: Nominal Dimensions
Main Joining Section: 10 feet length; 3.07 metres / 6 feet width; 1.85 metres
Sphere Joining Section (including sphere-walkway access: 7 feet; 2.15 metres
Stairwell Joining Section: 7 feet; 2.15 metres
Roof Area of Stairwell-To-Sphere Access: 24 ft x 6 ft = 144 sq. ft; 16 sq. m
Each sphere's owners would have access to two of these, and therefore to 16 x 2 = 32 sq.m of walkway floor and 32 sq.m of walkway roof
Please Note: The average new UK house is 76 sq.m. (85.5 sq.m according to the English Housing Conditions Survey); new USA house: 203 sq.m.; new Danish house: 137 sq.m.; new Japanese house: 132 sq. m.. However, according to a 2009 report by CommSec, Australians now build the largest new homes, at 214 sq. m. (Note: PDF file)
Predicted Population Growth
Population projections are notoriously unreliable as there are many factors to consider (disease, reducing fertility rates, migration from poor to rich countries etc.,). However it is likely that population will increase to, at least, ten billion between 2050 (PDF file.) and 2070.
The Cost of Infrastructure
Infrastructure for our global population is enormously complex - and enormously expensive. It is estimated (by McKinsey & Company) that we will need to spend - at least - $57 trillion by 2030 (which is nearly 60% more than the $36 trillion we spent in the last 18 years). Therefore, any project that reduces our dependence on complex infrastructures would help to reduce this financial pressure and demand on services.
Copyright 2009 - 16: Ekinoid.